Sleepiness Can Be A Safety Hazard in the Workplace
I think one thing most of us can relate to one another is being tired. Our lives are busy and sometimes we feel like there are not enough hours in the day to get through our to-do lists. One thing I hope we can all learn to agree on is that being sleepy really is a hazard and sometimes can be quite dangerous in the workplace. Lack of sleep can lead to multiple consequences that may have a huge effect on us, our work, and our coworkers. Sleepiness can lead to:
- Accidents can happen no matter what, this is why they are called “accidents”. However, we put many precautions in place to help prevent accidents from happening. Getting enough sleep is a good way to do your part in preventing an accident.
- Memory Issues can cause many problems for you in the workplace. Being well-rested and at the top of your memory game will be appreciated by your coworkers and your customers. It’s quite normal to forget once in a while but if you are sleep deprived, your memory loss may very well be affecting your work.
- Difficulty with Thinking and Concentration this can also be an annoyance to you and your coworkers when you are all trying to do the best job you can do. When you are well-rested, you are more likely to do a better job.
- Mood Changes can be difficult for you, your coworkers, and can be detrimental to your customers. Being well-rested can limit your mood changes and keep you more consistent.
- Weakened Immunity definitely affects your workplace. When your immune system is weak, you are likely to get sick more often. This may keep you from work which puts more pressure on your coworkers to pick up the slack.
Having one, let alone several, of these side effects from lack of sleep can be dangerous in the workplace. Please be mindful of taking care of yourself by resting when your body and mind are tired. This not only protects you but could possibly prevent you from inadvertently making a bad decision or causing an accident that could affect someone else.
As always, if disaster strikes, SERVPRO of Point Loma is always here for you. We can be reached 24/7 at (619)275-2802.