Electrical Safety to Avoid Fires in Your San Diego Home or Business
When working with electricity, safety needs to be your top priority at all times. According to the NFPA, one of the major dangers associated with electrical hazards are fires. Each year, electrical malfunctions account for 35,000 home fires, causing over 1,130 injuries, 500 deaths and $1.4 billion in property damage. To keep electrical components in a state where they are not misused or improperly maintained and cause a fire, it’s best to follow this guide.
Keep an Eye Out For Electrical Red Flags
When it comes to your electrical components, make sure you’re aware of the key warning signs of overloaded electrical systems. This includes (but is not limited to) outlets that are frequently blowing fuses, tripping circuit breakers and lights dimming when other devices are used. Furthermore, if you hear a buzzing sound coming from outlets or switches, or they are warm to the touch, you could have an overloaded electrical system.
Watch for the warning signs of a stressed or worn out electrical system. These include:
- Cover plates that are unusually warm to the touch may indicate a loose connection.
- Crackling, sizzling or buzzing noises behind outlets, switches or walls may indicate there’s an unsafe wiring condition called arcing.
- Tripped circuit breakers are yet another indication of an over stressed electrical system. Circuits typically trip because of electrical overloads. Circuits that trip repeatedly indicate a potential problem that needs attention from a licensed electrician.
Other Signs of Faulty Wiring
As a home ages, so does the wiring system. You can experience issues with worn out outlets, switches, GFCI outlets, and even the circuit breaker panel. Wiring systems in homes that are more than 30-years-old weren’t designed to handle the demands of today’s electricity needs.
If you also find that you are constantly using extension cords to power your appliances or electronics, it might be time to reconsider your electrical outlet needs. This is because extension cords can heat up and catch on fire easily, especially if they’re overloaded.
Lastly, if you find that prongs are not staying secure in your receptacle, it’s definitely time to get your receptacle’s worn contact repaired before a fire breaks loose. This is because loose contacts are known to cause arcing, which can ignite dry wood and dust, leading to fires in no time.
Electrical Fire Restoration Solutions
Electricity is something that even when harnessed and secured, can still lead to home fires due to outside sources such as a power surge, lightning strike or other natural disaster. If an electrical fire breaks out on your property under your watch, it’s best to call SERVPRO Point Loma at (619) 275-2802 to go over your fire restoration options immediately.