Recent Commercial Posts
Natural Disaster Plans for your SoCal Business
Would your business be prepared to face all that Mother Nature can throw at it through floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, wildfires and earthquakes? The most important key to surviving these natural disasters is to be prepared for these situations.
Being prepared for these situations involves creating a natural disaster plan for your business. This blog will lay out some aspects to consider when designing that very important disaster plan.
Where to Start With Your Disaster Plan
There are many things you will need to consider, including your employees, your material assets and equipment, when developing a disaster plan for your business.
Some of those considerations should be:
- How to protect your employees
- How to secure your assets
- How to get business up and running again
Many checklists have been made available through sources like the Red Cross, FEMA and Ready.gov that can offer information that will help you identify areas that need to be included in your natural disaster preparedness plan. These sources will also help you see just how prepared you truly are.
Don’t Neglect Employee Safety
If a disaster should strike without warning, your plan must lay out clear and concise procedures and safety measures for the protection of your employees and visitors. Your evacuation routes and exits from your facility should all be properly and clearly marked, have an area designated that will serve as a shelter space, consider emergency light installation, and ask for volunteers to serve as designated “safety wardens” properly trained and ready to guide and assist with all emergency efforts.
When choosing a place for shelter, ideally this space would be a basement or storm cellar in the event of tornadoes or other high-wind situations. If there is no basement available, select a small interior room on the lowest level of the building, such as a closet or interior hallway.
How to Protect the Assets
In a brick and mortar location, you’ll still need to make careful decisions when it comes to protecting the assets inside the building. You have thousands of dollars tied up in equipment and/or merchandise that will be at risk should a natural disaster strike.
Be sure to have a complete and up-to-date inventory of all equipment and assets. Having photographs prior to a disaster whenever possible is also always helpful if insurance claims need to be made. If your assets are computer data-based and kept on a server, take the steps necessary to ensure that the backup system is making regular backups and that the storage system cannot be damaged, such as a cloud storage option.
If you own the building that you conduct your business in, get with a contractor to uncover areas that could be structurally strengthened. This contractor should be able to suggest possible safety upgrades and advise on any areas that may not make the grade in certain weather situations.
Getting Back to Business
When—and if—a natural disaster does occur, it may be entirely possible that your business will have to be closed for days or months due to the damage incurred. And every day you remain closed is another day of lost profits. It is wise to set up a disaster fund to help cover any additional costs that are not covered by your insurance.
Keep a list of contractors handy who will make themselves available for repairs, and know which cleanup and restoration service will be available to quickly respond to your emergency situation.
You can count on us to get to the disaster faster and make it "Like it never even happened." Our training and expertise have prepared us to help with water damage, storm damage, fire damage and mold remediation quickly and effectively.
3 Steps for Fire Prevention at Your San Diego Business
Three Steps For Fire Prevention
The safety of employees, customers, property and inventory are high priorities for any business owner in San Diego, CA. You want to make sure that you do what you can to maintain a building that is free from danger. Here are three steps for fire prevention you need to take to protect against one of the most common hazards that your business could face.
1. Invest in Proper Equipment
In order to reduce the risk of injury and extensive fire damage, make sure that you have the correct equipment on hand. You should have at least one fire extinguisher on each floor. Keep a stocked first aid kit in case of any minor injuries as well. To help your employees in case of a larger fire, put together an emergency kit including:
- Masks to fight smoke inhalation
- Bottles of water
- A flashlight
- Spare batteries
2. Know the Risks
Complete an assessment of your entire building to determine what additional fire prevention steps need to be taken. Look for potential hazards, such as areas with lots of paper or other items that would quickly fuel a blaze. Make sure that you have clear pathways to all exits. If your municipality offers it, request a visit from a fire marshal to help identify further sources of danger.
3. Make a Plan
Make sure that your employees know exactly what to do in case a business fire breaks out. Create a plan that includes escape plans, emergency contact numbers and the location of all safety equipment. Go through the plan at least annually with employees. If you have a large staff, perform fire drills regularly to ensure everyone knows what to do.
Proper fire prevention steps are the key to keeping your business safe. Even if the unthinkable does happen, having knowledgeable and well-trained employees will help prevent injuries or severe destruction. Be sure to get a professional fire damage assessment afterward to ensure your building gets the rehab it needs to return to normal operations.
How SERVPRO of Point Loma Handles Commercial Losses
When it comes to commercial restoration, San Diego property managers want to leave nothing to chance. That's why they rely on professionals like SERVPRO of Point Loma.
What sets us apart from other restoration companies is our skilled technicians and the advanced equipment we use to take care of any-scale disaster. This use of professional equipment allows us to restore your San Diego commercial property or retail business back to its preloss condition quickly, reliably, and more effectively.
Here are some of the unique tools we have to restore your property:
- An infrared camera may be used to identify hidden water locations for the thorough removal of moisture that is hidden from the naked eye.
- Sensitive moisture meters/detectors, hygrometers, and other meters measure the extent of moisture saturation.
- Submersible and gas-powered pumps for continuous pumping of high-level water from events like floods.
- Truck-mounted and portable extraction units perform efficient water removal.
- High-speed air movers cause moisture to evaporate at a faster pace.
- Industrial grade dehumidifiers pull the water vapor from the air.
- Trailer mounted generators and desiccants (Large Commercial Air Dryer) provide power and large scale drying capabilities.
- Air Scrubbers that are able to filter the air of contaminants and fumes.
- The use of Thermal Foggers and environmentally-safe Deodorization Agents to leave a pleasant scent upon use.
You can count on SERVPRO of Point Loma to take care of any size loss you may have, so you can put your commercial business back in order and get you back to doing what you do best--serving your customers!
Give us a call at 619-275-2802.
5 Reasons to Hire a Janitorial Cleaning Company
Subcontracting an office janitorial company for your commercial cleaning needs is beneficial for your business and employees. Not only is cleaning valuable for the money aspect, it also plays a major role in increasing sales and energy within an office space. There are three areas to anticipate a great growth upon hiring a commercial janitorial service and that is in your productivity, profitability and popularity. Below are 5 benefits of hiring a professional janitorial company.
5 Benefits of Professional Janitorial Services
- Healtheir Environment
Work environments like offices can quickly become unsanitary if left alone. Germs spread, causing employees to call in sick and lose valuable production time. Professional cleaners will sanitize your office, keeping bacteria at bay and employees healthy.
- Productive Employees
Research has found that employees are more productive in cleaner environments. Not only do workers feel valued, but they also find it easier to keep their personal spaces and work areas more organized. When a janitorial service handles cleaning duties, employees don’t need to take time out of their work schedules to clean.
When clients visit offices for meetings, a clean and organized area makes an excellent first impression. New or potential employees will also feel comfortable and excited to be a part of a clean office.
- Professional Cleaners Have the Equipment & Cleaners
To be effective, janitorial services for large offices require industrial-strength cleaning equipment such as vacuums and carpet cleaners. Professional cleaners have these tools, including environmentally friendly cleaning products, so you won’t need to invest in your own.
- Thorough Results
If you delegate cleaning duties to your employees, they might rush and clean the bare minimum. Professional cleaners are trained and skilled at reaching nooks and crannies others might miss. The result is a clean and sanitary office in which you can get your best work done.
Call SERVPRO of Point Loma for professional office cleaning in San Diego, CA. We will make sure that all areas of your facility are cleaned to reduce the spread of germs at 619-275-2802 for a free quote.
Hotel Fire Prevention Tips
If you run a hotel business, you will want to do everything you can to protect it from disasters such as water damage and fire damage. Being prepared for any kind of disaster is always a good idea. Today, we’re sharing some tips that can help you prevent fire damages as well as some helpful tips in the event a fire ever does happen:
- Take steps to ensure that the address numbers for your buildings or suites are highly visible, enabling emergency responders to easily find your location quickly in the event of a fire or other emergency. Numbers should contrast with the background used, such as black on white, while the numerals should be no less than six inches in height.
- All fire extinguishers should be no more than 75 feet from all work areas for easy access, and they should be mounted in a highly visible spot. Make sure your extinguishers are inspected and serviced at least once a year by a licensed fire extinguisher company.
- Exits need to be clearly marked with EXIT signage that is illuminated at all times with a battery backup for power outages. Emergency lighting should be kept in working order, and the exit areas and spaces around the building outside kept clear of debris and plant material, reducing the fire risk outdoors as well.
- In order to prevent a fire from ever starting, all stored materials need to be stacked at least two feet below the ceiling in an orderly manner. For buildings with an automatic sprinkler system, 18 inches of clearance is required, allowing smoke to collect up high, which gives people adequate time to exit and the sprinklers a clear area for their spray pattern. Entries, hallways, and storage spaces should be kept clear of clutter or obstructions to allow quick exit and access for fire personnel. These instructions have been put in place by your area fire marshal, and if not followed, can result in fines.
- Electrical outlets should have no more than one item per outlet plugged into them, which may include a power strip with a circuit breaker. All electrical cords should be kept in good repair and replaced when needed.
- Trash receptacles need to be kept at least five feet away from combustible roofs, windows, and entryways and not stored in the path of exits.
- Have your sprinkler system tested and serviced every 12 months or less by a licensed fire sprinkler company. This practice should also be used for your fire alarm system.
- If your hotel has a restaurant kitchen onsite, make sure your stove hood has been cleaned at least once every year to prevent excessive grease buildup. Ceiling exhaust fans and bathroom heater/light/fan combinations can also be a risk due to a buildup of dust and grease, resulting in increased operating temperatures.
- Make sure your local fire department has your valid contact information on file for your business.
The SERVPRO of Point Loma team is experienced in cleanup projects after fires both large and small. We are also mold remediation specialists, and here to help in the event of water damages, fire damages, and storm damages.
What To Do if you Find a Biohazard on your Commercial Property
Biohazards, or biological and chemical contaminants, can pose serious dangers to your health and well-being. Not only do they create unhealthy and dangerous environments, but they put people at risk, which is why it’s integral to deal with biohazards properly in the event that you find one on your commercial property. Biohazards include, but are not limited to, the following.
- Sewage backups
- Crime scene residues
- Suicide/death accidents
- Homicide cleanups
- Blood cleanup
- Accident cleanup
- Hoarding scenes
- Animal waste/remains
- Chemical spills
- Tear gas cleanup
- Meth lab cleanup
As you can see, many of these scenarios are glaringly hazardous to general health and safety, and you must be sure to call professionals to deal with the biohazard right away instead of attempting to manage it on your own. The sensitive nature of biohazards means that reverting to do-it-yourself cleanup may pose dire consequences, so it’s best to contact experts like SERVPRO of Point Loma instead.
Common biohazard scenarios include sewage backups, bloodborne pathogens, and illegal drug manufacturing labs/meth labs, which all pose emergencies that require immediate responses. Give SERVPRO of Point Loma a call at (619) 275-2802 and we’ll send trained technicians to safely dispose of the biohazard as quickly as possible.
We’re available 24/7, 7 days a week, and even on holidays to respond to biohazard emergencies that put you at risk. Don’t hesitate to reach out. We’re here to help.
Tips to Help with Graffiti Removal
SERVPRO can help with your graffiti removal
When your commercial building gets tagged with graffiti, best to hire a certified and experienced company to remove the graffiti for you.
Tips to Successful Graffiti Removal
- Pre-wet the surface when using any alkaline paint remover. Pre-wet the surface surrounding the graffiti. Do not wet the affected section if the cleaning agent is solvent-based or incompatible with water. Incorrect cleaning solutions can damage the building. It is best to seek a skilled professional to avoid any further surface damage.
- Rinse the cleaning solution used to rid your structural building of graffiti. Start at the bottom and move upward. This will prevent the cleaning agent from running downward and staining a lower contact surface.
- When temperatures range from hot to cold, the measure in which paint remover will work is slim. Climate temperature is a leading source of why removing graffiti is difficult in our local region. Southern California has higher air temperatures. so, it requires specialists to remove graffiti. Cleaning and restoration experts have the correct tools, solutions, and training to get the job done.
- Commercial buildings can pose an issue with graffiti removal because of the variations of materials used in the build. Let it be bedding planes, density, finish, or weathering checked after treatment. There is a large likelihood the paint will still being visible after removal tactics are performed. A professional commercial cleaning and restoration team has the experience and resources to rid you of paint stains without the guesswork.
- Mortar joints behave differently than masonry units and often need different cleaning materials and methods to remove the graffiti
- After graffiti removal, test the surface to make sure cleaning solutions were removed, preventing damage to the building’s surface.
Graffiti removal can be a trial-and-error experience for you. Someone knowledgeable in masonry materials, graffiti materials, and cleaning techniques for graffiti removal should do the job to avoid surface deterioration and long hours spent on a project.
If you need help removing graffiti from your commercial property or your home call SERVPRO of Point Loma at (619)275-2802
Sleepiness Can Be A Safety Hazard in the Workplace
I think one thing most of us can relate to one another is being tired. Our lives are busy and sometimes we feel like there are not enough hours in the day to get through our to-do lists. One thing I hope we can all learn to agree on is that being sleepy really is a hazard and sometimes can be quite dangerous in the workplace. Lack of sleep can lead to multiple consequences that may have a huge effect on us, our work, and our coworkers. Sleepiness can lead to:
- Accidents can happen no matter what, this is why they are called “accidents”. However, we put many precautions in place to help prevent accidents from happening. Getting enough sleep is a good way to do your part in preventing an accident.
- Memory Issues can cause many problems for you in the workplace. Being well-rested and at the top of your memory game will be appreciated by your coworkers and your customers. It’s quite normal to forget once in a while but if you are sleep deprived, your memory loss may very well be affecting your work.
- Difficulty with Thinking and Concentration this can also be an annoyance to you and your coworkers when you are all trying to do the best job you can do. When you are well-rested, you are more likely to do a better job.
- Mood Changes can be difficult for you, your coworkers, and can be detrimental to your customers. Being well-rested can limit your mood changes and keep you more consistent.
- Weakened Immunity definitely affects your workplace. When your immune system is weak, you are likely to get sick more often. This may keep you from work which puts more pressure on your coworkers to pick up the slack.
Having one, let alone several, of these side effects from lack of sleep can be dangerous in the workplace. Please be mindful of taking care of yourself by resting when your body and mind are tired. This not only protects you but could possibly prevent you from inadvertently making a bad decision or causing an accident that could affect someone else.
As always, if disaster strikes, SERVPRO of Point Loma is always here for you. We can be reached 24/7 at (619)275-2802.
The Importance of Insuring Your Business
The Importance of Insuring Your Business
As a business owner in San Diego, you know the importance of keeping your establishment safe. Each year, water damage ranks as one of the top claim types for businesses of all sizes. Part of making sure your property, business, and people are safeguarded in the event of a disaster is having appropriate business insurance. Check with your agent if you have questions about your coverage.
1. Reduce Your Risk
Damage can originate from several water sources, such as broken pipes, sewer backups, severe storms, and more. Though you can't stop natural disasters, you can take steps to manage the severity in some instances. Routinely inspect your property and perform maintenance as required. Take measures to protect your assets by insulating exposed pipes, maintaining building temperatures of 55 degrees, and sealing cracks in your building’s exterior and foundation. Be sure to keep gutters, downspouts, and drainage areas clear of debris to prevent backups. Emergencies don't adhere to schedules, so make sure you're taking the time now to reduce your risk later.
2. Plan for Recovery
In the event of a disaster, it's important to have a plan to handle the situation safely. Every business is somewhat prone to water damage, whether it's from broken pipes or inclement weather. Contact your insurance provider to be sure you have the appropriate level of endorsements (also called riders) on your policy to cover the costs associated with water cleanup and repairs. You may also want to discuss what happens in the event of structural damage, mold growth, or ruined inventory. After an emergency, be quick to contact restoration experts who can efficiently mitigate the damage and manage the restoration project.
Keeping your business safe during an emergency is crucial. You can take steps to prevent some water damage from happening, but it's also important to have adequate business insurance to prepare for the risk of serious incidents outside of your control
When a disaster strikes, SERVPRO of Point Loma will work with your insurance to get your business back up and running in no time.
We're Here to Help
SERVPRO of Point Loma is here to help
In light of the recent pandemic, many businesses have been asked to close their doors. However, because of the nature of our work, we're still open, we're still on call, we're still here to help.
SERVPRO of Point Loma has a number of services to help all sorts of businesses in their time of need to catapult them back to their feet when it's time to re-open their store.
We are currently offering Viral Cleaning, also known as Proactive Cleaning, to ensure that your location is up to code and clean in the event of a viral outbreak in your building. By using Electrostatic Fogging, we can provide less expensive per square foot cost, more comprehensive coverage, and provide certified documentation that your facility has been cleaned by a trained IICRC certified company as opposed to traditional disinfectant and sanitizing services. In addition, the product we use is free of allergens and is so safe that it has been approved for human consumption.
If you are interested in this service, please contact us using the button above or, if you are so inclined, call us for more information. We're here to help, we're here to get our nation back on its feet, we're here to make it "Like it never even happened."
Emergency Commercial Water Damage Restoration in Point Loma
Commercial water damage can strike your commercial property while you are sleeping! We understand the urgency for immediate repairs and can act fast to help minimize further damage. Disasters can strike unexpectedly, which is why our emergency response helpline is always open and standing by to take your phone call 24/7!
Regardless of the cause, we will fast respond and help you assess problems or issues the water damage produced and start the mitigation and recovery process. Before emergency repairs are started, we remove any salvageable items, assess the extent of the damage and contamination to put together a repair plan.
SERVPRO of Point Loma professionals have the training, experience, and equipment to manage water and flooding damage. Whether you have a large water emergency or a small water damage event, we will respond fast to mitigate the damage and manage the restoration project through to its completion.
SERVPRO of Point Loma provides a wide scope of services not always offered by other SERVPRO franchises, such as biohazard cleanup and removal, HVAC repair and service and general construction for rebuilding and remodeling structures. Those are in addition to the fire, water and mold cleanup and restoration services you may already be familiar with. Below is a list of some of our services offered.
- Fire, Smoke, and Soot Cleanup and Restoration
- Water Removal and Dehumidification
- Crime Scene, Biohazard and Vandalism Cleanup
- Mold Mitigation and Remediation
- Air Duct and HVAC Cleaning
- Carpet and Hard Floor Cleaning and Care
- Stain Removal, Stain Resistance Applications
- Odor Identification and Deodorization
Upholstery and Drapes: Wet and Dry Cleaning Methods
If you are unsure if we can help with an issue you are having, give us a call at (619) 275-2802 today!
Restoring Your Point Loma Commercial Property After A Water Damage Event
Flooding and water damage events at Point Loma commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Point Loma
SERVPRO of Point Loma specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Meet Our Crew